Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Naughty Amber ... ale" brewing

Sounds dodgy huh?

This time I used orange and agave syrup in strong amber ale!



Actually, it's not my first time to use fruits in brewing. I brewed Belgian wit with Dan using grape fruits I can pick from the garden outside of my flat and also used the same stuff for brewing Saison Dupont clone with Josh. Belgian wit I brewed didn't go well, because of the other spice I added and the beer tasted odd. My friend said to me "weird flavour combination". Saison Dupont clone is still bottle conditioning, but I'm expecting to be pretty good. I added only grape fruits to saison, but nothing else. Saison's 'tart' 'grassy' 'fruity' can get along with 'citrus' 'sour' 'bitter' flavour of grape fruits. 

This time's brew's idea was totally came from nowhere. Well, actually came from the bar. I was thinking about trying some brown sugar or honey for the brew and I was staring at agave nectar that we use for making Margarita. Then, I was thinking about Margarita recipe. Cointreau is used to make Margarita as well as Tequila, lime, salt. Cointreau is an orange liqueur from France. Obviously this proves that agave syrup and orange is a good couple. 

My flavour inspiration from there reached to one idea 'caramel orange'. The beer smelt like just peeled orange and tasted great after the brew. The beer was pretty clear from a good rolling boil. I cleaned my gears more carefully than usual, too. It was very motivated from my trip to Galbraith's ale house. I was getting training on cask beer serving and brewed a batch of beer with the head brewer, Ian Ramsay. It was very motivational and educational. 







Absolutely fantastic experience before getting into industry. I am starting to brew commercially. The beer is called Funk Estate and starting with my favourite Black IPA. This Wednesday, 18th April is the Funk Estate's first brew day. I'm so stoked!

Recipe for Naughty Amber
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 53.3 %
2.00 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 26.7 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 4 2.7 %
1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 3 13.3 %
0.20 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.7 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 6 1.3 %
50.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 7.8 IBUs
10.00 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 8 13.3 IBUs
10.00 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 12.4 IBUs
30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 15.8 IBUs
50.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
100.00 g Orange choped (Boil 15.0 mins) Spice 11 -
250.00 ml agave syrup (Boil 0.0 mins) Flavor 12 -

The original gravity was 1.069. It was a lot lower than expected. From how the grain looked I'm guessing the grain didn't get milled enough. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sir,

    On behalf of the National Library Board (NLB), we would like to invite you to pledge your blog to the Singapore Memory Project as part of efforts to collect memories that are already manifested in existing online channels.

    The Singapore Memory Project (SMP) is a national initiative to collect, preserve and provide access to Singapore’s knowledge materials. Spearheaded by NLB, the SMP aims to build a national collection of content in diverse formats (including print, audio and video), to preserve them in digital form, and make them available for discovery and research.

    By pledging your blog to SMP, you are affirming that every memory matters. Whether your posts are an account of your daily life, or an expression of your thoughts, the SMP hopes to find a home for your memories so that it can help build towards an understanding of Singapore. You will also receive a badge that you can display on your blog in recognition of your contributions.

    Contributors to this blog pledging initiative will be listed on Singapore Memory portal’s blog pledging webpage. All blogs pledged to SMP will archived using NLB’s web harvesting software, in addition to images of each blog’s landing page.

    If you are keen to pledge your blog to SMP, simply fill up our response form at this following URL: http://singaporememory.simulation.com.sg/Public/Pledge.

    You may find out more about this initiative at http://www.iremember.sg/?page_id=2822.

    We are looking forward to your contribution.

    |Simulation Software & Technology (S2T) Pte Ltd 583 Orchard Road #14-02 Forum The Shopping Mall S(238884) w: www.simulation.com.sg

    ReplyDelete