This time I used orange and agave syrup in strong amber ale!
Actually, it's not my first time to use fruits in brewing. I brewed Belgian wit with Dan using grape fruits I can pick from the garden outside of my flat and also used the same stuff for brewing Saison Dupont clone with Josh. Belgian wit I brewed didn't go well, because of the other spice I added and the beer tasted odd. My friend said to me "weird flavour combination". Saison Dupont clone is still bottle conditioning, but I'm expecting to be pretty good. I added only grape fruits to saison, but nothing else. Saison's 'tart' 'grassy' 'fruity' can get along with 'citrus' 'sour' 'bitter' flavour of grape fruits.
This time's brew's idea was totally came from nowhere. Well, actually came from the bar. I was thinking about trying some brown sugar or honey for the brew and I was staring at agave nectar that we use for making Margarita. Then, I was thinking about Margarita recipe. Cointreau is used to make Margarita as well as Tequila, lime, salt. Cointreau is an orange liqueur from France. Obviously this proves that agave syrup and orange is a good couple.
My flavour inspiration from there reached to one idea 'caramel orange'. The beer smelt like just peeled orange and tasted great after the brew. The beer was pretty clear from a good rolling boil. I cleaned my gears more carefully than usual, too. It was very motivated from my trip to Galbraith's ale house. I was getting training on cask beer serving and brewed a batch of beer with the head brewer, Ian Ramsay. It was very motivational and educational.
Absolutely fantastic experience before getting into industry. I am starting to brew commercially. The beer is called Funk Estate and starting with my favourite Black IPA. This Wednesday, 18th April is the Funk Estate's first brew day. I'm so stoked!
Recipe for Naughty Amber
|4.00 kg||Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)||Grain||1||53.3 %|
|2.00 kg||Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)||Grain||2||26.7 %|
|0.20 kg||Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC)||Grain||4||2.7 %|
|1.00 kg||Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)||Grain||3||13.3 %|
|0.20 kg||Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)||Grain||5||2.7 %|
|0.10 kg||Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)||Grain||6||1.3 %|
|50.00 g||Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min||Hop||10||7.8 IBUs|
|10.00 g||Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min||Hop||8||13.3 IBUs|
|10.00 g||Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||9||12.4 IBUs|
|30.00 g||Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min||Hop||7||15.8 IBUs|
|50.00 g||Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days||Hop||13||0.0 IBUs|
|100.00 g||Orange choped (Boil 15.0 mins)||Spice||11||-|
|250.00 ml||agave syrup (Boil 0.0 mins)||Flavor||12||-|
The original gravity was 1.069. It was a lot lower than expected. From how the grain looked I'm guessing the grain didn't get milled enough.